Self Soothe boxes (or sensory boxes) can be really calming in times when we feel anxious, stressed, or upset. Here I have collated some ideas for how to make your own – as well as what I have in mine. Hope you are all keeping well and healthy!
What is a Self Soothe Box?
If you have never heard of this before, I have attached a YouTube video below from Hampshire Mental Health services that explains what they are and how to use them!
So.. What should be in my self soothe box?
The idea of the self soothe box is that its calming for each of your senses – sight, hearing, touch, taste and smell. Start by gathering a small box or bag you can put the items in!
- Fidget toy
- Stress ball
- Essential oils such as rose or lavender
- Candles (not in halls though!)
- Scented moisturiser or hand cream
- Create a soothing playlist on your phone and keep some headphones in your box as a reminder!
- Whitenoise or nature sounds are also good alternatives!
- Some of your favourite snacks
- Chocolate or sweets
- Hot chocolate powder or tea bags
- Photos that make you smile
- Art supplies such as colouring
- Positive affirmations (my favourite is ‘my best if good enough for today’)
What’s in my self soothe box?
In my self soothe box I have some of my favourite scented candles and a bath bomb so I can take a relaxing bath. I also have some peppermint tea bags and biscuits to snack on. I keep some polaroids with my friends to make me smile, and some birthday cards from my last birthday. I also keep a face mask and some hand cream for some pampering!
Remember, everyone’s box will be different – just put in whatever will cheer you up when you are feeling down! I hope this helps!